October Fruit of the Month - Apple
This month is all about apples!
Apples are often referred to as the "king of fruits." From their crisp texture to their versatile flavor, apples have earned their place as a beloved fruit worldwide. Not only are they a popular snack, but Everyday Health reports that they also boast an array of health benefits - there’s a reason people say, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away!”
Some benefits of including apples in your diet are:
- Apples are known for their heart-friendly properties. The soluble fiber in apples helps reduce cholesterol levels by preventing its absorption in the intestine. Lower cholesterol levels can contribute to a healthier heart and a reduced risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Apples are rich in antioxidants, including flavonoids and polyphenols, which have been linked to numerous health benefits. These antioxidants help combat oxidative stress, reducing cellular damage and inflammation. They also contribute to overall health by potentially reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and certain types of cancer.
- The soluble fiber in apples not only aids in digestion but also helps regulate blood sugar levels. It slows down the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream, preventing spikes and crashes in blood sugar levels. This makes apples a great snack choice for individuals with diabetes or those aiming to maintain stable blood sugar levels.
- Additionally, their fiber content contributes to a feeling of fullness, making apples a satisfying snack that can help manage weight by curbing overeating and supporting portion control.
- The dietary fiber in apples, pectin, acts as a prebiotic, providing nourishment for beneficial gut bacteria. A healthy gut microbiome is essential for proper digestion, nutrient absorption, and overall digestive health.
From their impressive nutrient profile to their potential health benefits, apples truly live up to their reputation as a nutritious and versatile fruit. In addition to being good for your health, apples are a delicious addition or star of sweet or savory dishes. With varieties from Fuji, Gala, Granny Smith, Cosmic Crisps, and more, there are endless possibilities when it comes to enjoying apples.
*It's important to note that while apples offer numerous health benefits, individual results may vary. As with any dietary changes, it's recommended to consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian before making significant alterations to your diet.