Yay for National Strawberry Day!
Did you know that National Strawberry Day is February 27th? It makes sense that a month filled with heart-shaped food and bright red colors would dedicate a day to the wonderful strawberry (any reason to celebrate the strawberry is good enough for Office Deliveries!).
Grown all over the world (except in the northern and southern artic hemispheres) with over 600 known varieties, the strawberry is a sign of summer, peaking in the U.S. from April to August.
Did you know that about 88% of strawberries grown in the United States come from California? With over 25,000 acres dedicated to strawberries, California produces over 2.3 billion pounds of strawberries every year! Wow!
Below are a few tips from our Produce Buyer, Robbie Sigona, on how to make sure you're picking the perfect strawberry:
Robbie Sigona's Strawberry Tips
1. Take a sniff! You want a strawberry with a fragrant smell.
2. Look for a strawberry with as little green around the stem as possible. The deeper the red coloring, the riper the berry.
3. Avoid washing the strawberry until you're ready to consume. Water can damage this fragile berry!
4. For longer life, store strawberries in your refrigerator in an air-tight container lined with a paper towel to absorb any moisture.
5. Strawberries perish easily so be sure to consume them in a few days.
Did you know you can get fresh strawberries delivered to your office? CLICK HERE to add berries to your office delivery order!
Let us know how you enjoy strawberries on our FACEBOOK PAGE! What's your favorite strawberry recipe? We want to know!