November Fruit of the Month - Persimmon
We’re putting the shine on persimmons this month!
Persimmons, with their vibrant orange color and sweet flavor, are a true delight of the fall season. There are two main types - Hachiya and Fuyu. Boston Organics gives a breakdown on the major differences between the two! Not only are they delicious, but they also offer an array of health benefits.
Here are some reasons to incorporate persimmons into your diet:
- Persimmons are packed with essential vitamins and minerals. They are an excellent source of vitamin A, which promotes healthy vision, immune function, and skin health.
- They can contribute to improved digestion and a healthy gut. Persimmons are an excellent source of dietary fiber, both soluble and insoluble.
- Persimmons are rich in antioxidants, particularly vitamin C and various phytochemicals. Antioxidants help protect the body against oxidative stress caused by free radicals, reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, certain cancers, and age-related macular degeneration.
- The fiber content in persimmons, along with their low sodium and high potassium levels, contributes to heart health. Fiber helps regulate cholesterol levels by reducing the absorption of LDL cholesterol (the "bad" cholesterol) in the body. Potassium, on the other hand, helps maintain proper blood pressure levels, reducing the risk of hypertension and cardiovascular diseases.
- Persimmons' high vitamin C content makes them a great addition to supporting a healthy immune system. Vitamin C plays a crucial role in immune function by promoting the production of white blood cells and enhancing their ability to fight off infections and illnesses.
Aside from their health benefits, persimmons are a versatile fruit that can be enjoyed in various culinary creations. Whether eaten fresh, added to salads, used in baking, or even blended into smoothies, persimmons add a unique and delicious flavor to a wide range of dishes.
Persimmons are a nutritional gem, offering a burst of flavor along with a multitude of health benefits. From supporting heart health and digestion to boosting the immune system and promoting eye health, persimmons are a fruit worth savoring. So, embrace the golden goodness of persimmons during the fall season and beyond. Incorporate them into your diet to enjoy their delightful taste and harness their incredible benefits for your overall well-being.